Summer is just around the corner! This time of year many KC residents have a family vacation on the schedule. But wait! Before you go, it is important to prepare your home. Not only will preparing your house in advance give you some peace of mind, but it could also protect your home from the possibility of a fire, water damage, or an intruder. The Kansas City Chapter of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry put together these helpful tips for homeowners to follow before vacation.
Home Preparation Tips to Ward off Intruders
1. Stop the newspaper and mail.
2. Put a light or two on a timer, or consider installing a motion-activated sensor outdoor floodlight.
3. Depending on the season, it is important to keep your lawn trimmed. In the winter, you will want to keep your driveway and sidewalk clear of snow. Offer to pay a neighbor kid if you don’t have a service.
4. Check the locks on your doors and windows before leaving your home. Don’t forget to lock the door between the garage and the house too.
5. Park your car inside of the garage.
6. Notify your security company that you are going out of town.
7. Just to be safe, ask a neighbor to keep an eye on your home. Be sure to leave a key with them and any contact information they may need.
Home Preparation Tips to Reduce the Possibility of Fire or Water Damage
8. Unplug home electronics, computers, televisions, etc. that could be damaged by a power surge.
9. Do not leave the dishwasher, dryer, or washing machine running when you leave the house.
10. Turn off all appliances. This includes your stove, oven, coffee maker, etc.
11. Don’t turn your thermostat off! Instead, turn the temperature higher in the summer months, but not so high as to ruin your plants or furniture. During colder months, you will want to lower your thermostat, but keep it above 55 degrees. This way your pipes will not freeze.
12. Make sure that your smoke detectors are working properly.
13. Check sump pump alarms, temperature alarms, or freeze alarms to make sure that they are also working properly.
14. Turn off water valves to the dishwasher, washing machine, and sinks.
15. Run your garbage disposal using a half cup of vinegar and water.
If you return from vacation and your home has experienced some type of damage, many of our members can be of assistance. Check out the list of NARI members here.